UC Santa Cruz

Shipping & Receiving

Moving Services

Surplus Services

Surplus Store

Event Equipment Rentals

E-Waste Recycling


Contact Info



Campus Safety

Need Help?
Call (831) 459-2354
Fax (831) 429-0146

Receiving Services
H Barn
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz CA 95064


Surplus Services

All sales of surplus University owned property must be administered by Receiving Services. Receiving Services offers:

  • Pick-up of surplus items
  • Determining the resale value of surplus items
  • Advertising items for sale to campus units and the general public
  • Distributing the proceeds of the sale back to campus unit of origin when applicable
  • Disposal of non-saleable items
  • Disposal of e-waste items

How to Surplus Excess Property

Is the Property Yours to Surplus?

For inventorial equipment, if the equipment has a "Property of US Government" tag, it may not be disposed of as surplus. If you don't see a property tag or are unsure who has title, please contact service@receiving.ucsc.edu, or (831) 459-2354.

Is Your Property Saleable?

Property is considered not saleable if it is obselete, if it needs to be repaired or if it is not functional. Surplus Services can pick-up and dispose of these items either through e-waste, recycling or landfill services.

If your property is saleable, please fill out a UCSC Surplus Request Form and email it to service@receiving.ucsc.edu, along with your request for Surplus Pickup.

For Inventorial Property

Please Complete an Equipment Inventory Modification Request-EIMR.

  • If the property is saleable, check the "OTHER" box in the Transactions section and write in "Recycle".
  • If the property isn't saleable, check Box 23: "Destroy/cannibalize" in the Transactions section.
  • Have the EIMR signed by an authorizing person in the department.
  • Send the completed form to:

    Surplus Services
    1156 High Street
    Santa Cruz, CA

    Phone: 831-459-2354
    Fax: 831-459-3747

  • Email the Equipment Administration confirmed form to service@receiving.ucsc.edu, along with your request for Surplus Pickup.

If You are Surplusing a Vehicle


  • Include on your UCSC Surplus Request Form the vehicle's UCSC Property Number and the Mileage at the time of release to Surplus.
  • Please bring the vehicle to Receiving Services at Barn H.
  • Please leave the vehicle's keys, along with your completed UCSC Surplus Request Form with Receiving Services.

Be sure to remove any personal items or debris from the vehicle prior to releasing to Surplus.

If You are Surplusing a Device with Data (like a Computer)

To surplus a device with data, such as a computer, the data needs to be wiped by your IT staff or via the IT request system. Once you have the ticket request number, add that number next to the description of your equipment/device on the Surplus request form and email it to us and attach a copy to the device. ITS will make a determination based on the age and type of device, unless you are certain the device is salable, to either wipe and reinstall the drive so the device can be sold via Surplus Services or deliver to Surplus as E-waste so it can be properly recycled.

Questions/comments? email service@receiving.ucsc.edu.

E-Waste Disposal

Surplus Operations is the UCSC Campus Faculty and Staff designated outlet for the disposal of electronic devices, including CRTs, etc.

Examples of Consumer Electronic Devices (CEDs) to be Handled by Surplus Operations

Computers, Monitors, Scanners, Printers, Keyboards, Mice, Battery backups, Cables, Circuit Boards,Microwaves, Lamps, Clocks, Flashlights, Calculators, Phones, Coffee Makers, Typewriters, etc.

For a more complete list of e-waste items, please visit the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) E-Waste page.


  • Thermostats (mercury switches) See Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), April Casper 459-3086 or Email Hazwaste@ucsc.edu with any questions concerning Hazardous Waste Handling and Disposal.
  • Refrigerators and freezers that are or have been used in laboratory settings must be cleared of contaminants through EH&S before disposal. Contact Hazwaste@ucsc.edu and for PBSci units, visit the PBSci Equipment Disposal page for more information. After EH&S approves the removal, Moving Services can be contracted to remove and dispose of these items properly.
    Please contact service@receiving.ucsc.edu (459-2354) for information about charges that will apply.

E-Waste Drop-Off Times

You can drop off your e-waste items at the H Barn without an appointment on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 12:00PM and 3:00PM.

Request a Pick-Up

Once you are ready to surplus your property, please email service@receiving.ucsc.edu to request a pick-up. Please include in your email the following information:

  • Contact Person
  • Phone Number
  • Email
  • Quantity and description of items to be picked-up
  • Requested pick-up date and time
  • Location of property.
  • FOAPAL to be charged

Please attach your UCSC Surplus Request Forms and Equipment Inventory Modification Request Forms if applicable.

Surplus Services Recharge Rates

Recharge rates for the pickup of surplus items are as follows:

Service Rate
One Person and a Truck $65.00 per hour
Two People and a Truck $110.00 per hour
  • Minimum charge - 1/2 hour
  • Minimum landfill charge - 1 hour (Note: Landfill charge is for labor only; refuse charges are levied separately by the Santa Cruz City Landfill and included in your billing.)
  • Larger jobs - Supplemental labor will be provided. Rates will vary, depending upon the source (i.e., Spherion, etc.)

Surplus Proceeds

In many cases the net proceeds from the sale of university property are returned to the department releasing the property, minus the cost of handling and transportation which is retained by Surplus Operations.

On Sales of
Amount Retained by
Receiving Services
$100.00 or less
$101.00 to $1,000.00
$1,001.00 to $5,000.00
more than $5,000.00
subject to negotiation

Surplus Store

Visit our Surplus Store to see what we're selling right now!

Property is offered for sale "as is; where is; first come, first served," and subject to sales tax, with no warranty or guarantee as to condition. The buyer is responsible for determining the condition of property prior to purchase.

Restrictions: Who Can Purchase Surplus Property?

  • No one employed in a material management department (Receiving Services, Procurement and Business Contracts, or Equipment Administration) or a near relative of that employee, may purchase any surplus items.
  • No one employed in a department originating excess material, or a near relative of such employee, may buy any excess material originating in that department directly from the University.
  • The principal driver of a University-owned motor vehicle, or a near relative of such employee, may not buy such motor vehicle directly from the University.

Near relative is defined as husband, wife, mother, father, daughter, son, sister, brother, and step-relatives and in-laws in the same relationships.

Quick Links

How to Surplus Excess Property

For Inventorial Property

If You are Surplusing a Vehicle

If You are Surplusing a Device with Data (like a Computer)

E-Waste Disposal

Request a Pick-Up

Surplus Services Recharge Rates

Surplus Store